The Hurst provides a school network and Internet access for all pupils and staff in order to promote educational excellence.
They are used to facilitate resource sharing, innovation and communications. They are a privilege, not a right. Teachers will provide guidance to pupils on appropriate and safe use of our systems, and the school will take all reasonable measures to restrict access to materials and prevent inappropriate undesirable behaviour.
Students are responsible for their own behaviour when using our network or the internet, just as when they are anywhere else on the school premises. The following are not permitted under any circumstances:
- Searching for or displaying offensive images or messages
- Sending messages likely to cause offence. Messages must not be foul, racist, sexist, obscene or contain offensive images
- Any action which could damage equipment or the system
- Downloading and uploading non approved software
- Violating copyright laws
I agree to comply with all of the following:
- I will only access the system with my own login and password, which I will keep secret
- I will not access other people’s files
- I will not personalise desktop settings or alter the school’s computers in any way
- When using the internet, I will not visit inappropriate sites
- I will not use websites which bypass County or School security and safety measures (proxy bypass sites)
- I will only e-mail people I know, or someone a member of staff has approved
- The messages I send will be polite and responsible
- I will not give my home address or telephone number, or arrange to meet someone, unless my parents, carer or a member of staff has given permission
- I will report any unpleasant material or messages sent to me. I understand my report would be confidential and would help protect other pupils and myself.
- I am aware of the danger of viruses and will not open any unfamiliar e-mail messages, without the consent of a member of staff
- I understand that the school will check my computer files and will monitor the Internet sites I visit.
- I will only use the school’s computers for school work unless given permission by a member of staff to do otherwise
- I will only use portable storage devices if given permission to do so by a member of staff
Should any of these rules be broken, the school will take appropriate action. As well as normal school sanctions, this could include a ban for a period of time (lifted in lessons for restricted use), exclusion and informing the police or relevant authorities.