At Key Stage 4 students can choose to study either Drama GCSE or Acting BTEC.
Edexcel Drama is offered at GCSE. This is a highly practical exam. The outline of the course is below.
Unit 1: Drama Exploration (30%)
Exploration of creative and structural aspects of drama.
- forms of stimuli
- explorative strategies
- drama medium
- elements of drama.
- A six-hour practical workshop exploration (in lesson)
- Documentary evidence - maximum 2000 words.
Unit 2: Exploring Play Texts (30%)
Exploration of a play text chosen by the centre involving:
- exploration of character
- interpreatation of the play
- design implications of the play.
Visit to a live theatre performance.
- six-hour practical workshop exploration (in lesson) based on a play text
- Documentary response - maximum 1000 words
- Written evaluation of a live theatre performance - maximum 2000 words.
Unit 3: Drama Performance (40%)
A devised or scripted play performed to an audience including a visiting examiner. Students may offer:
- acting skills, or
- performance support and design skills.
- Performance of a play, devised or scripted, to a visiting examiner.